2019 Afcon: Moses, Mikel, Onazi for Bafana clash

The Nigeria Football Federation has moved to clarify  that  Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr’s   25-man squad  for the friendly  against Corsica  as well as for  the camping in France  ahead of the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations  qualifier against South Africa  in Uyo on June 10 is not his final list.

The Eagles are scheduled to play Corsica in Ajaccio on May 26 and travel to Paris  the following day  to start their preparations for the Bafana Bafana clash.

Rohr’s list, which was released by the NFF on Monday, has been the subject of scrutiny from the media, pundits and fans following the omission of  senior players such as  in-form Chelsea right wing-back Victor Moses,  Ogenyi Onazi, Kenneth Omeruo as well as China-based trio  Mikel Obi, Odion Ighalo and Brown Ideye.

The former Burkina Faso manager, who has won all Nigeria’s competitive games since he took the reins at the Eagles  last year, named  Chelsea  right-back Ola Aina on the list, confirming  that the 20-year-old    had  decided to ditch England to play for Nigeria. Aina, who has  failed to break into Chelsea’s  first team  since he made his Premier League debut in the 3-0 defeat of Leicester  on October 15, 2016, has been capped by England at each level from U16s to U20s.

MFM’s shining lights this season  Stephen Odey and Sikiru Olatunbosun are also on the list.

Spokesman for the NFF Ademola Olajire told our correspondent on the telephone on Monday  that Rohr still has  Moses, Mikel, Onazi and other senior players omitted from the list in his plans for the Bafana encounter.

“It’s not every player on the list that will be selected for the game against South Africa. The coach  will drop some of the players and invite others after assessing  them (invited players) against Corsica – and during the camping in Paris,” Olajire said.

“Moses, Mikel, Onazi and other players left out  will be invited for the match against South Africa.”

Meanwhile, Rohr says he will name the squad for the Uyo clash later in  the month.

“The camp in France is to see some of the young players we have in the squad, and  to also gauge the level of fitness of some of the players who have not been playing a lot for their teams,” owngoalnigeria.com quoted the 63-year-old German  as saying  on Monday.

“After the friendly against Corsica, we will release another list,  which will be for the game against South Africa, with some players returning while those  who impressed  during the camping  in France will  be included.”Punch

You might also like More from author

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.